Wednesday, January 18, 2012

3 Strange Conversations

Stranger says, "What are the ages of your kids?"
My reply:  "9, 7, 4-3-2"
She says, "Wow.  You have like a zip code of children!"

Watch out 90210...here comes 97432.

----------------------------------

I was walking (in the freezing cold) with our oldest as she went door to door selling Girl Scout Cookies.
A woman and her two teenage daughters were walking 5 dogs.
I said hello and I told her that if she needs some cookies she could let us know.
Her instant response was to tell me that while she was interested in buying some,
her family is actually involved in American Heritage Girls.
Then she launched (very sweetly, I might add) into, 
"Have you heard of the AHGs?  Do you know the difference?"
I redirected to cookie talk.
Then she went on to say that the main difference will be noticed in the older grades where there is more emphasis on feminism...also on what they teach about how you behave with the
opposite sex.
Yikes.
She didn't know that I was one of the troop's leaders.
She also didn't know that I have no intention of overstepping my bounds in teaching other girls what I feel is the main responsibility of their parents.
Heck, I don't even know if we will still be involved in a couple of years.
I heard my inside voice say something like this, "I see your daughters have their own dog walking business...isn't that a little of feminism at it's best."
or
 "Thanks lady, but I am just out here in the freezing cold so that my daughter can sell some cookies.  We simply want to go camping with some of the profits and we plan to donate 10% to charity."

First off, let me be very clear, I didn't debate because I was so darn cold I don't have a 
personal problem with AHG.
I don't really know enough of the higher level politics of either organization 
and I plan to keep it that way for now.
I have heard some comments/allegations that people have made about Girl Scouts that I don't agree with, but I am sure that it is possible that it goes both ways.
For now, Girl Scouts is a great way for L to connect with school friends in a positive way.

Meanwhile, we'll be going fun places, doing some service work, and making good friends.
Oh, and selling some overpriced yet very yummy cookies.

--------------------------------------

I posted this on Facebook yesterday so sorry for the duplicate but it cracked me up.

During breakfast, CM said, "Mommy, do you want to have some cereal too?"
J chimed in (very matter-of-factly), "No.  Mommy eats in the car."

Anyone else need to give themselves more time in the morning?

-----------------------------------------
More at a later time in a future post called, "Walmart Wisdom."
Have a great day!

No comments: