Sunday, August 12, 2012

I'm Gonna Make This Place Your Home

Anyone that has been a foster or adoptive parent knows that it does 
not come without special struggles.
There are questions that are hard to answer,
 grief and loss issues, 
special attachments and bonding to develop,
and sadly,
milestones that you just weren't there for.

Julia is at the magical stage of questioning.
She wants to know things about when she was a baby.
Things I didn't witness.
I have only been able to imagine what my newest "baby" looked like when she was a baby.

The other night, we were given a gift.
A wonderful surprise.
We ran into someone who knew Julia before I did.
She smiled and told us how amazed she was at how big Julia had gotten.
Then she gave me this...
 I know that I am biased, but she's so cute she makes my eyes hurt.

So far, this is the only baby picture that we have of our Julia.
She asked if I'd like to keep it.
I responded as tears filled up my eyes, "More than anything."
I smiled and Julia's face lit up with pride!
 She showed anyone who would look.
Our other kids, one by one, studied the picture and told Julia how beautiful she was.
I couldn't have paid them to have more perfect reactions.
This one little picture is so precious to her and to us.

This new home is so good for us too.
This house is all of OURS since we all came to it together at the same time.
I hadn't thought about how nice it would be for her to 
have a fresh start and not have to "come late to the party", so to speak.

As we approach one year of living together, we still work on establishing a bond
that will 
leave her feeling secure and forever loved.
We build new memories with her everyday.
Each hug and kiss and laugh do this.

On the radio or while watching the Olympics,
 you might have heard this song by Phillip Phillips.
"Home"
I couldn't help but think about my Julia.
I also thought about all of the kids needing to
know that they are home, forever.
Take a look at the lyrics HERE.
You can listen to a sample of the song HERE.

She knows that it is "her song" and it offers one more connection,
and  puts us one step closer to making this place her "home."

3 comments:

annieglan said...

What an amazing gift to receive that picture. I wish I had that for my daughter. I did however call Our365 and they were able to get her hospital pictures to me. Our adoption worker just faxed them a copy of our adoption certificate and that was it. It's worth a try if you haven't looked into it.

Eileen Speidel said...

Krista: You are so awesome! This made me cry! I'm so happy for Julia and all of of your kids. You have given them such a wonderful, fun home! How cool that you got that picture!

Krista said...

Thanks ladies. I cried a little bit too writing it. Annie, I might try Our365. Thanks for the tip!