Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sunday Funnies: Weighing Her Options

We dropped JJ off for her therapy-based preschool program last week and decided to explore some of the hospital.  This clearly means...cafeteria and gift shop.  As we made our way through the hallways, we passed a cleaning cart. 

L spoke to me very softly and discreetly: "Uh mom, what do you estimate the salary of a janitor to be?" 

A little surprised by the question and her use of estimate in casual conversation, I asked "Why do you ask?

With a very calm and serious look on her face she replied, "Well, I am considering it BUT I would like to make a good salary too." 

She said it as if we were late in her junior year and she had to make a serious decision about colleges.  She's only 8 but I love that she's always thinking!  I totally respect hard work in any profession and high income is not the only basis of success, however, I thought that it was good that she was thinking about the practical side of work...a paycheck. 

I later asked what some of the other professions she was "considering."  She listed more than I can recall.  Here's a few...vet, paramedic, occupational therapist in the schools (smart kid), physical therapist, teacher, singer, horse farmer, doctor. 

I can't wait to see what the future holds for her. 

1 comment:

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

She is so sweet...but I'm still laughing.