Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Dentist

After an exhaustive search, we located a dentist that would
accept our 5 children with 2 different types of insurance, and was near our home.
(This is a whole different post.)
YAY!

We headed there today for our 10am appointment and 
after only one u-turn and a phone-a-friend (Thanks, Jean.)
we made it just in time.

I filled out A LOT of paperwork, including a statement saying if I didn't
show and didn't call...$75 charge.
Whatever.

So I, plus our 4, 3, and 2 year olds, proceed to sit in the tiniest waiting area with 4 other
families for 1 hour and 10 minutes to be called back.
Keep in mind that I had to feed everyone and get J to the bus at noon.
I looked at the receptionist, and before I could speak, she said, 
"Um, it should be just a minute."

Finally we are called back and I was steamed.
The hygienist was moving slowly so I let her know that we were in
quite a hurry.
She said, "Do they call you mom?"
I reply, "Yep, I am their mom."

CM got in the chair and looked a little anxious.
The hygienist, smiled sweetly, and remarked how beautiful all my girls are.
I began to soften a bit.
Then she loudly followed with, in a crowded area,
"Are all of them foster kids?"

I looked at her and said, "No, and we don't call them that."
She looked a little embarrassed and apologized.
I accepted.

I am clearly noticing that my patience with questions is directly
proportional to my stress level and how much of it my kids and everyone
around them can hear.  

The woman didn't mean any harm.  I get that.
But today, I didn't care quite as much.

CM's teeth are beautiful.  
I kept semi-control over the kids during that long wait.
We did make it to the bus, just in time, while still eating McDonald's in the car.
All the while, tears were welling up in CM's eyes because the fluoride treatment she was given
didn't allow her to eat or drink for 30 minutes.  
It all could be worse.
(I could have been nicer.)

Wish me luck when I take 3 kids back in a few weeks for more cleanings.