Tuesday, July 5, 2011

She's On the Move

JJ gave new meaning to "Independence Day" this year. 
She decided, while at a family Fourth of July party, to take her first few independent steps.  This immediately turned into walking about 7 feet for cheers and applause, of course.

As some of you might know, she has Cerebral Palsy and has been doing therapy since she was tiny.  Now at 19 months, she has achieved a goal that we have been anticipating for a long time.  As a therapist and her very biased mom, I was always confident that she would walk despite her difficulties.  However, I was caught a little off-guard by how emotional it was be for me when she did.  I have caught myself tearing up over and over since then (including now), but why?

I remember feeling proud, as well as, cheering and applauding when each of our children reached this exciting milestone.  It still makes me smile to think about it.  The difference this time is that I don't just see her taking steps without me.  I see her overcoming an obstacle and possibly exceeding some people's expectations.  I see her being one step closer to reaching all of her physical goals.  I see the reward of her working so hard for months in therapy and at home. 

I am one proud mama.

She is one tough cookie.

 ...and now she is on the move!

Watch out world!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

how can you not be proud? life is nothing else but seemingly small achievements attained through perserverance and love. the empire state building? insignificant. the atom bomb? insignificant. the steam engine? insignificant.

a child's first smile, first giggle, first words, first step, and first drawing - significant beyond all measure.

Anonymous said...

G-ma is proud too. Look out world here she comes.

BarbieD said...

As one "special needs" mom to another-I totally get it. I remember when my 3 y.o. spoke full sentences. I could finally have a full conversation with him in a car while I was driving. (Signing is tough when your back is to someone.) Yes it is a HUGE, precious milestone for any child; but when a special needs child just hits the "normal" milestones, it is even BIGGER. COngrats to JJ....and you ALL. She has a great support network that will enable her to not just walk, but to FLY!!! ;)

Krista said...

Thanks for the encouragement and for being so happy for her too!!