Monday, March 7, 2011

The Gym: Acting 101

So I went to the gym tonight.  I know, it's a miracle.  I met up with a friend to take a class called "Strike."  Essentially, it is like kickboxing with a weighted bar as a lovely bonus.  You can even grab some weighted gloves too if you like.  The instructor is friendly and so very energetic. The music is loud and motivating.  My favorite tonight was a juiced up version of "Wild Thing." You get the picture.

I used to dance and play sports...a long time ago and am now not in my fitness prime.  However, I know that something has to change.  After all, I have all of these kids and should probably try to be around for a while to raise them.  I really do not like working out.  I can't stand paying money for the gym.  I hate my workout clothes. You get the point.  

So why would I join a gym when I have a treadmill and go to a group fitness class??  Why is that my best option??  Pure vanity and pride.  I will kick, dance, punch, or zumba for the whole hour at the highest intensity that I can handle.  I do it because I have some fun and want to be healthier, but frankly I don't want to look like an idiot.  You know what I am talking about.  There's a lady twice your age or a pregnant woman in the class doing great.  I feel like I at least need to try to keep up.

Essentially, I fake it 'til I make it.  Really, the workout class is more like an acting class for me.  When the instructor yells out, "Don't your arms feel AMAZING?"  On the outside, I smile and might even give a little cheer with the others.  On the inside I am screaming, "No! They feel like they are going to fall off and if I could pick them up, I would hit you with them!"  So if you see me at the gym and you see me smiling, shakin' my hips, or boxing like Mohammad Ali, you will know the real story.  Underneath it all, while I am having some fun, I am probably wishing that I could just fall over and eat a brownie in front of you. 

I am going to try to keep it up.  Wish me luck.  What's your workout motivation like?  Any fellow actors out there?? 

2 comments:

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

I am laughing so hard I am crying in my cubicle. Thanks!

Karie said...

Good stuff!