Friday, March 4, 2011

I Just Got Told!

Today was report card day.  "L" and "PT" got off their buses and handed them to me.  It was good news all the way around but what happened next was the real surprise.

"PT" met a goal that he had been wanting to meet and he was thrilled.  He danced around and smiled ear to ear.  What pleasantly surprised me was that "L" cheered for him and hugged him and completely stopped talking about her own success.  She declared, "This deserves a ceremony." 

"J" and I were directed to our seats (on the couch) while she introduced "PT" in grand style and had him repeat some words after her.  Then he was directed to show his "moves", which look a lot like break dancing!  After a while, he put on a similar ceremony to celebrate her successes. 

I sat.  I watched.  I cheered.  I engaged.  Then after a while, I messed up. 

I picked up my phone and texted a friend.  "PT" turned around and looked right at me and said, "You are using your phone! You should be watching your daughter."  I quickly replied, "Buddy, it's been like 20 minutes. I was just sending a quick message."  (As if that was justification.) Without hesitation he said, "Well you should just enjoy your daughter for 20 minutes then." 

I stopped talking and put down my phone.  I looked him in the eye and said, "PT you are right.  I am wrong. Forgive me."  That kid started pumping his arms in the air and bouncing up and down like he was the new Rocky and had just knocked his competitor. 

What can I say?  The kid was right.  I was a jerk.  I'll try better next time.

Has you ever been "told" by your kid?

2 comments:

Tricia @ Take 10 With Tricia said...

My mom did something today and Stella said, "How many (meaning old) are you?" My mom answered her and Stella said, "You should know better." hehehehe

Dana said...

Ummmm....feeling pretty guilty that the friend in question was me. Sorry PT!!