Thursday, March 3, 2011

Retail Rants and Raves: Mott's for Tots

Today I made my way to the grocery store.  I found myself in the aisle with juices and something caught my eye. 
 

  Why would anyone pay the same amount ($3.69) for a juice that is "fruit juice + purified water" as you would for the same brand of "100% juice?"  I don't get it!! That is the deal with Mott's for Tots.  Don't get me wrong, I understand that juice is often diluted with water, especially for really young ones.  I've done that myself.  I also sort of get it that you might purchase the Mott's for Tots juice boxes purely for the on-the-go convenience.  But am I wrong that if you are buying a 64 oz. bottle of juice, you are probably using it at home??  Heck, if I could make my own label at home it would say something like, "100% fruit juice + plain old tap water."  I certainly am not going to pay extra for them to dilute it for me.  It would be like paying more for crappy beer because they had added more water for you.  It makes no sense.

Products that are targeted for babies and toddlers seem to be pricier than similar products appropriate for the whole family (i.e. individual containers with spaghetti-o's).  Has anyone else noticed this?  

No comments: